Chili is just the best when it's cold out. This recipe, using BLACKLIST Black German Lager as its liquid base, is a brewery family favourite. The right amount of spice, a great texture -- it's as filling as it is delicious.
- 454g/1lb ground pork
- 454g/1lb ground beef
- 1 (540ml) can, baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 (540ml), kidney beans (drained)
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 1 (768ml) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 each green and red pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2" of a leek's stalk, finely diced
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 6 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can BLACKLIST Black German Lager
- 1 tbsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp red chile flakes
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- Leaves from bunch of celery, chopped
STEP BY STEP
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F
2. In a dutch oven or oven-safe pot over medium-high heat, cook the beef and pork until just cooked through, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add in diced onions, garlic, and leeks, mix, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the onions are glassy and the leeks have softened.
3. Add in the green and red peppers, stir to combine, and cook until peppers soften, 2-3 minutes.
4. Add tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, BLACKLIST Black German Lager, and stir to combine. Stirring occasionally, bring pot to a simmer.
5. Add spices, lemon juice, celery leaves. Stir to combine.
6. Cover pot and bake in the oven, middle rack, for 90 minutes.
7. Remove pot from oven, add kidney beans, beans in tomato sauce, and lemon zest. Return to oven for 15 minutes.
This chili is best served with a dollop of good sour cream, freshly diced spring onions and grated cheddar cheese. Can be refrigerated for up a week.